If you're looking for a low impact, whole body move that gets your heart rate up, the front kick with planks is a great choice. You work on balance and core strength while raising your heart rate without straining the joints. This exercise requires quite a bit of balance, so take your time and hold onto a chair or wall for balance if needed.
- Begin with feet together and the arms up in a defensive position.
- Bring the right knee up and kick the leg out, avoiding hyperextension of the knee.
- Balancing on the left leg, bring the right leg back behind you, hands to the floor in a runner's stretch.
- Bring the left foot next to the right into a plank, holding briefly.
- Step the left foot forward into a runner's lunge, stand up and again kick with the right leg, continuing with your front kick planks on the same leg.
- Repeat the series on the other side, repeating for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps.