This advanced exercise targets the glutes, hips, thighs and core all at the same time. By using a paper plate and sliding one leg in an out, you add intensity to the traditional side lunge. Taking the weight toward the floor engages the core, making this a dynamic exercise that will really challenge you.
- Put a paper plate under the left foot and hold a weight (I used a 10 lb kettlebell) in the left hand.
- Keep the weight in the right leg and bend the knee as you slide the left foot out to the side, keeping the leg straight.
- As you squat toward the floor, keeping the knee behind the toes, take the weight down and touch the floor.
- Squat as low as you can and keep the back flat, abs engaged.
- Push back up, sliding the left foot in as you stand.
- Repeat for 8-15 reps and then switch sides, completing 1-3 sets.