Strength Training for Women
Though more and more women are lifting weights, some of you out there still avoid strength training like the plague. It's unfortunate because strength training is as essential as cardio for burning fat. Some of the reasons women avoid strength training include:
- It only benefits men
- I'll build big, bulky muscles
- It won't help me lose weight
- I feel intimidated by the weight room
- I don't know where to start
The good news is, you don't have to be afraid of heavy weights. Women don't have the testosterone necessary to build big muscles. Even men have a hard time building big muscles -- and they have way more testosterone than you do.
Even better, once you start lifting challenging weights, you'll see major changes happen in your body, more than you do with cardio which burns calories, but doesn't help you build muscle. Don't forget that you're building strong bones and preserving your muscle mass, which means you can control the weight gain that comes with age and lack of exercise.
If I've convinced you to get started, check out the resources below to figure out where to start.
Get Started with Strength Training
- Strength Training for Beginners: If you don't know where to start, this article gives you some basics for setting up a simple strength workout.
- Weight Training 101: A good program starts with knowledge. Take some time to learn about the basic principles of strength training so you know what you're doing and why.
- Reasons to Lift Weights: Strength training will be more meaningful for you if you know what you're getting out of it.
Get More Out of Strength Training
- Are You Lifting Enough Weight?: Women can and should lift heavy weights without fear of bulking up. This article explains how to take your training to the next level.
- Strength Training Myths: Did you know that lifting lighter weights doesn't actually tone your muscles? That's just one myth you'll get rid of after reading this article.
- Changing Your Strength Workouts: Changing your routine can make a huge difference in your results. Here you'll learn exactly how to do that.
More Strength Training Resources
- Beginner Strength Workouts: Start here if you're just getting started with your program. You'll find plenty of beginner workouts to try.
- Abdominal Workouts: These ab workouts range from beginner to advanced, so you'll find what you need to strengthen your abs.
- Buns, Hips & Thighs: If you have questions about getting rid of fat around your hips or you just want some exercise ideas, you'll find it all here.
- Strength Training Video Recommendations: Videos are a great way to get started with strength training. These reviews will give you some ideas of the best videos out there.
- Postpartum Strength: If you've just had a baby, you'll need to ease into a strength training program. This workout is the perfect place to start.